04. Search Me
05. Above All Else
06. Majesty And Mystery (Awesome God)
08. There's No One Like Our God
09. Captivated
11. Turn Your Eyes

For more about Vicky Beeching click on her name in on the links list or check out www.vickybeeching.com

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Mystery and Glory

Colossians 1:25-27
"of which I became a minister according to the stewardship from God that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

What is this mystery hidden for ages? And why has it only now (the time when Paul was writing) been revealed?

The simple answer is: This mystery is the Glory of God!

The long answer:

Let us go back to Moses to begin our search for God's Glory.
Exodus 24:15-17
"Then Moses went up on the mountain, and the cloud covered the mountain. The glory of the LORD dwelt on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days. And on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the midst of the cloud. Now the appearance of the glory of the LORD was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud and went up on the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights."

Here we see that God's Glory is very intimidating, very strong and powerful, something to tremble in fear of.

Exodus 33:12-23 + 34:29-35
"Moses said to the LORD, 'See, you say to me, "Bring up this people," but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, "I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight." Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.' And he said, 'My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.' And he said to him, 'If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here. For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?' And the LORD said to Moses, 'This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.' Moses said, 'Please show me your glory.' And he said, 'I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name "The LORD." And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But,' he said, 'you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.' And the LORD said, 'Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.'"
"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God. Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. But Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the leaders of the congregation returned to him, and Moses talked with them. Afterward all the people of Israel came near, and he commanded them all that the LORD had spoken with him in Mount Sinai. And when Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face. Whenever Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he would remove the veil, until he came out. And when he came out and told the people of Israel what he was commanded, the people of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face was shining. And Moses would put the veil over his face again, until he went in to speak with him."

Here we see Moses ask God to go with him as he lead the Nation of Israel in the desert and God says that He would. At this point most people would say, "Great, thanks!" and that would be about it. But not Moses, he says, "Please, show me your glory."
I am going to paraphrase God's response to Moses' question. "Moses, I would love to show you, but it would kill you, so how about I put you in this crack in the rock and cover you with my hand as I walk by, and then you can see my back. Sound good? Great."
Moses wanted to see God's Glory, but God couldn't show him because it would kill him, but God wanted to show Moses as much as he could handle.
But more than this God's response was, "you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live."
God's face is His Glory!!!!

Now let's fast forward to the New Testament!

Matthew 17:1-13
"And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. And Peter said to Jesus, 'Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.' He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, 'This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.' When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, 'Rise, and have no fear.' And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only. And as they were coming down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, 'Tell no one the vision, until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.' And the disciples asked him, 'Then why do the scribes say that first Elijah must come?' He answered, 'Elijah does come, and he will restore all things. But I tell you that Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they pleased. So also the Son of Man will certainly suffer at their hands.' Then the disciples understood that he was speaking to them of John the Baptist."

Here we see that the Glory of God is now the person of Jesus Christ. (Cool side note....Moses was there and was talking with Jesus! He finally could look upon the Glory of God!) The transfiguration of Jesus was a very special and significant moment. God came down to us, to our level and allowed humans to gaze upon His Glory in the form of Jesus Christ!

But it doesn't end there!!!

What Paul is talking about, this mystery, "which is Christ in you."
God has taken His Glory to another level. This is a very difficult thing to put into words, much less understand.
God has transferred His Glory to Christ (Christ is God, so my feeble mind can sort of understand that), but now through Christ living in us, we have also received His Glory, We Are His Glory!!!

Those last few words, have changed my life, and even as I write them I am in Awe of what God has done!

WE ARE GOD'S GLORY!!!!! if Christ lives within us and we are found in Him.

Isaiah 26:8
"Yes, Lord, walking in Your truth, we wait eagerly for You, for Your name and renown are the desire of our souls."

Chris Tomlin
"The Way I Was Made"
Arriving

Caught in the half-light, I'm caught alone
Waking up to the sunrise and the radio
Feels like I'm tied up, what's holding me?
Just praying today will be the day I go free

I want to live like there's no tomorrow
I want to dance like no one's around
I want to sing like nobody's listening
Before I lay my body down
I want to give like I have plenty
I want to love like I'm not afraid
I want to be the man I was meant to be
I want to be the way I was made

Made in Your likeness, made with Your hands
Made to discover who You are and who I am
All I've forgotten help me to find
All that You've promised let it be in my life

Chris Tomlin
"Be Glorified"
The Noise We Make

Your love has captured me
Your grace has set me free
Your life the air I breathe
Be glorified in me

You set my feet to dancing
You set my heart on fire
In the presence of a thousand kings
you are my one desire
I stand before you now
With trembling hands lifted high
Be glorified

Your love has captured me
Your grace has set me free
Your life the air I breathe
Be glorified in me

You set my feet to dancing
You set my heart on fire
In the presence of a thousand kings
You are my one desire
I stand before you now
With trembling hands lifted high
Be glorified

Be glorified in me
Be glorified in me
Be glorified in me
Be glorified
Be glorified in me
Be glorified in me
Be glorified in me
Be glorified in me
Be glorified

You set my feet to dancing
You set my heart on fire
In the presence of a thousand kings
You are my one desire
I stand before you now
With trembling hands lifted high
Be glorified


Abba, Father, Daddy, thank you! You have taken me, an enemy of Your kingdom, You have redeemed and purchased my soul by the Blood of Your Son, Jesus Christ. You have changed me and made me into Your own Glory! Thank you so much! Help me to live it out, I am Your son, made in Your image. Help me to bring Glory and Honor to Your name in all that I do. Help me to give You all the Glory and Honor and keep nothing for myself. More of You and less of Me! I pray this all in the name of Jesus, Friend, Brother, Savior, Redeemer, Messiah, God. Amen!

In Christ,

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|