04. Search Me
05. Above All Else
06. Majesty And Mystery (Awesome God)
08. There's No One Like Our God
09. Captivated
11. Turn Your Eyes

For more about Vicky Beeching click on her name in on the links list or check out www.vickybeeching.com

Monday, July 18, 2005

Grace

John 1:17
"For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

Titus 2:11-15
"For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you."

Micah 7:18-20
God's Steadfast Love and Compassion
"Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities under foot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. You will show faithfulness to Jacob and steadfast love to Abraham, as you have sworn to our fathers from the days of old."

What is Grace?
From Dictionary.com
1. Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.
2. A characteristic or quality pleasing for its charm or refinement.
3. A sense of fitness or propriety.
4. A. A disposition to be generous or helpful; goodwill.
B. Mercy; clemency.
5. A favor rendered by one who need not do so; indulgence.
6. A temporary immunity or exemption; a reprieve.
7. A. Divine love and protection bestowed freely on people.
B. The state of being protected or sanctified by the favor of God.
C. An excellence or power granted by God.
8. A short prayer of blessing or thanksgiving said before or after a meal.

From Easton's Bible Dictionary
Grace -
(1.) Of form or person (Prov. 1:9; 3:22; Ps. 45:2).
(2.) Favour, kindness, friendship (Gen. 6:8; 18:3; 19:19; 2 Tim. 1:9).
(3.) God's forgiving mercy (Rom. 11:6; Eph. 2:5).
(4.) The gospel as distinguished from the law (John 1:17; Rom. 6:14; 1 Pet. 5:12).
(5.) Gifts freely bestowed by God; as miracles, prophecy, tongues (Rom. 15:15; 1 Cor. 15:10; Eph. 3:8).
(6.) Christian virtues (2 Cor. 8:7; 2 Pet. 3:18).
(7.) The glory hereafter to be revealed (1 Pet. 1:13).

From Philip Yancy's "What's so Amazing about Grace?"
1. Unmerrited Favor
2. Love
A. Love that goes up to God = Worship
B. Love that goes out to others = Affection
C. Love that stoops down = Grace

The song, Rock of Ages, has a Great line in it!
"Nothing in my hands I bring, Only to the Cross of Christ I cling."
God's Grace, Unmerrited Favor, and a Love that stoops down to us, all in the Cross!

The Challenge!
Grace will always be a challenge! For us personally and for the Universal church as a whole!

We have many enemies that will attack us.
Outer: Other people
Inner: Ourselves
Below: Satan
All will say: "How can it be that easy, it can't really be this free." Or something like it!

Here as some signs that Grace is missing:
1. We fail to look at God fearfully
2. We look at people judgementally
3. There is no Joy in Worship

When we live our lives on a performance base, life becomes weary.

Fun test: Next Sunday, don't wear your Sunday Best...see who makes a comment as to why you are not dressed up.

This is not to say that we are exempt from doing good works...see Ephesians 2:1-10 below as well as, James 2:14-18
Faith Without Works Is Dead
"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

But don't be fooled, and don't fall away from Grace. One day we may understand Grace as it truly is, but another day we may fall into the trap of performance based living.
Spiritual life is like a Road, but a road with a fork in it! And this fork keeps coming back and back and back again. The road is Grace and the fork is performance. We must hold tight to Grace or risk slipping onto the fork of performance.
Just because Good Works are there for us to do, doesn't mean that they are what gets us into heaven. That my friends is God alone through His Amazing Grace!

Centrality of Grace!

Acts 15:8-11
"And God, who knows the heart, bore witness to them (Gentiles), by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us, and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith. Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? But we believe that we will be saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, just as they will."

Ephesians 2:1-10
By Grace Through Faith
"And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience-- among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

We are saved by God only by His Grace! There is nothing I can do!
Nothing in my hands I bring, Only to the Cross of Christ I cling!

God does it all for us, He took our punishment for sin! He does it all!

Acts 15:19-21
"Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God, but should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. For from ancient generations Moses has had in every city those who proclaim him, for he is read every Sabbath in the synagogues."

James here was saying that the Gentiles were also saved by Grace. They should not be hindered by the regulations of the Jewish people. But there were a few things that were especially offensive to the Jewish people that would be greatly appreciated if they were adhered to (also, a most of those things, it would be good to avoid anyway!)

Joy of Grace!

It's Free!!!!
See above Micah 7:18-20

Grace (Lord, I'm Grateful)
Lord, I'm grateful, amazed at what You've done
My finest efforts are filthy rags
But I'm made righteous by trusting in the Son
I have God's riches at Christ's expense!

'Cause it's grace! There's nothing I can do
To make You love me more
To make You love me less than You do
And by faith, I'm standing on this Stone
Of Christ, and Christ alone!
Your righteousness is all that I need
'Cause its grace!

Called and chosen while I was far away
You brought me into Your family
Free, forgiven, my guilt is washed away,
Your loving kindness is life to me.

Grace love the sinner, loves all I am and all I'll ever be
Makes me a winner whatever lies the devil throws at me

Freely given, but bought with priceless blood,
My life was ransomed at Calvary
There my Jesus gave everything He could
That I might live for eternity

'Cause it's grace! There's nothing I can do
To make You love me more
To make You love me less than You do
And by faith, I'm standing on this Stone
Of Christ, and Christ alone!
Your righteousness is all that I need
'Cause its grace!

In Christ,

David

1 Comments:

Blogger Gregory said...

That was awesome! As I consider and reconsider the Amazing truth of God's Grace in our lives, I fall more and more in love with Him! Thanks for even further encouragement, brother!

BTW, I love the Dictionary definition, #7. All those points bring home a dimension of Grace really succinctly. Grace goes beyond just the mercy of God, but also His Power and Strength, to sanctify us!

As Jesus said to St. Paul, "My Grace is sufficient for you, My strength is made perfect in weakness!"

God bless!

Tue Jul 19, 10:32:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|