04. Search Me
05. Above All Else
06. Majesty And Mystery (Awesome God)
08. There's No One Like Our God
09. Captivated
11. Turn Your Eyes

For more about Vicky Beeching click on her name in on the links list or check out www.vickybeeching.com

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Is Anger a Sin?

Luke 7:36-50
A Sinful Woman Forgiven
"One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and took his place at the table. And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, 'If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.' And Jesus answering said to him, 'Simon, I have something to say to you.' And he answered, 'Say it, Teacher.' 'A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?' Simon answered, 'The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.' And he said to him, 'You have judged rightly.' Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, 'Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven--for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.' And he said to her, 'Your sins are forgiven.' Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, 'Who is this, who even forgives sins? And he said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you; go in peace.'"

Anger is not always a Sin.

"It is Not a sin to be Angry. It is a sin to be Unrighteously Angry, but not to be Angry about Unrighteousness." -Pastor James MacDonald

Jesus was angry with Simon. When Jesus says, "Simon, I have something to say to you." He isn't being all nicey nicey. He is saying, Yo, listen up. I have something I want you to hear!

We need to ask ourselves, "Am I like the Pharisee? Am I like the Woman? Am I like Jesus?"
Let's take a look at each of these and see who we are like!

The Pharisee-
1. Despised the Woman vs. 39 "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner."
Most likely he despised not only the fact that her sin was most likely a sexual sin, but also her appearance and her worship of Jesus!
2. Ignored Jesus! vs. 44-46 "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment." (Now before I gross you all out, greeting someone with a kiss and a huge was normal, in fact the culture in America is one of the only cultures that doesn't do this even today!) This Simon dude, was all caught up in himself! He didn't love Jesus, this woman did! He didn't love Jesus, because he didn't know Jesus. He couldn't know Jesus, because he was all caught up in himself.
3. Was a Religious Professional! He knew how to talk, look, and act. He knew when to say Amen and when not to.

Am I a Pharisee?
1. Do I look down on others sins, more than my own?
2. Am I a Professional Christian...saying all the right things at the right times, giving money to the church, dressing up on Sunday morning?

Galatians 3:27-28
"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Not all the same, but equal!
"All equal, Everyone welcome, Christ is the Head." -Pastor James MacDonald
In God's kingdom there are no undesirables. Jesus made sinners welcome and the Pius nervous because He took God's Holiness (exclusive) and moved it to God's Grace (inclusive).

The Woman-
1. Followed Christ Vs. 37 "And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner; when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment."
2. Overcame fear, shame, burning eyes, and judgment of others. (Everyone knew who she was and what she had done.)
3. She didn't minimize her sin. (she knew what her sins were and faced them.)
4. She Faced her sin and Worshiped Jesus.
5. She saw her need for Jesus and didn't back away because of things in point 2.
6. She found forgiveness.

Am I the Woman?
1. Am I passionate about Jesus as my only hope of Salvation?
2. Am I passionate about Jesus as my only source of Strength?
3. Am I passionate about Jesus as the answer to this worlds problems?
4. Am I passionate about Jesus as my reason for living?

Where are you on a scale of 1-10 on these questions? 1 being not passionate at all, 10 being ON FIRE!!!!

I am the Woman! I need to be like the Woman! Lord, make me like that Woman, facing my sin and the burning eyes of the judgment of others, that I might come and worship you and find forgiveness in You!

I become like the Pharisee when I forget that I am the woman. When I forget that my sins are just as damaging to my relationship with God as others are!

Jesus-
1. Accepted them where they were! He Loved both of them!
Jesus accepted Simon's invitation to dinner. He also allowed the woman to come near to him!
2. He gave them both what they needed!
Truth for the Pharisee, Truth spoken in Love! And, Assurance of forgiveness for the Woman vs. 50.

Am I like Jesus?
1. Do I fully accept everyone around me?
2. Welcome to ________ (name of your church) full of sinners! Can I honestly say this not having an attitude of, "We love everyone, except for pharisees? Cause' that is Pharisee talk!

Do I see my need for Jesus, for His forgiveness? Do I worship freely at His feet without fear of those around me? Do I honestly accept people where they are at and for who they are?

Lord, make me like Yourself and the Woman. Help me to not forget that I to am a sinner and in Great need of Your forgiveness! In Jesus name, Amen!

In Christ,

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|