04. Search Me
05. Above All Else
06. Majesty And Mystery (Awesome God)
08. There's No One Like Our God
09. Captivated
11. Turn Your Eyes

For more about Vicky Beeching click on her name in on the links list or check out www.vickybeeching.com

Friday, December 30, 2005

Romans 7:13-20

Romans 7:13-20
ESV
"Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me."

NASB
"Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, so that through the commandment sin would become utterly sinful.
The Conflict of Two Natures
For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me."

Stephanus 1550 New Testament
13 το ουν αγαθον εμοι γεγονεν θανατος μη γενοιτο αλλα η αμαρτια ινα φανη αμαρτια δια του αγαθου μοι κατεργαζομενη θανατον ινα γενηται καθ υπερβολην αμαρτωλος η αμαρτια δια της εντολης
14 οιδαμεν γαρ οτι ο νομος πνευματικος εστιν εγω δε σαρκικος ειμι πεπραμενος υπο την αμαρτιαν
15 ο γαρ κατεργαζομαι ου γινωσκω ου γαρ ο θελω τουτο πρασσω αλλ ο μισω τουτο ποιω
16 ει δε ο ου θελω τουτο ποιω συμφημι τω νομω οτι καλος
17 νυνι δε ουκετι εγω κατεργαζομαι αυτο αλλ η οικουσα εν εμοι αμαρτια
18 οιδα γαρ οτι ουκ οικει εν εμοι τουτεστιν εν τη σαρκι μου αγαθον το γαρ θελειν παρακειται μοι το δε κατεργαζεσθαι το καλον ουχ ευρισκω
19 ου γαρ ο θελω ποιω αγαθον αλλ ο ου θελω κακον τουτο πρασσω
20 ει δε ο ου θελω εγω τουτο ποιω ουκετι εγω κατεργαζομαι αυτο αλλ η οικουσα εν εμοι αμαρτια

Key Words:
1. Good: 18 / Agathos -- good
2. Death: 2288 / Thanatos -- death (from 2348) 2348 / Thnesko -- to die
3. Sin: 266 / Hamartia -- a sin, failure (from 264) 264 / Hamartano -- to miss the mark, do wrong, sin
4. Commandment: 1785 / Entole -- an injunction, order, command (from 1781) 1781 / Entellomai -- to enjoin, to charge, command (from 1722 and Tellomai -- to accomplish) 1722 / En -- in, on, at, by, with
5. Sinful: 266 / Same as #3 above
6. Law: 3551 / Nomos -- that which is assigned, hence - usage, law (from Nemo -- to parcel out)
7. Flesh(vs. 14): 4560 / Sarkinos -- of the flesh (from 4561) 4561 / Sarx -- flesh
8. Hate: 3404 / Miseo -- to hate (from Misos -- hatered)
9. Flesh (vs 18): 4561 / Sarx -- flesh
10. Good (vs 16 and 18 2nd time): 2570 / Kalos -- beautiful, good
11. Evil: 2556 / Kakos -- bad, evil

1. Bring/Cause: ???
2. Producing/Effecting: 2716 / Katergazomai -- to work out (from 2596 and 2038b) 2596 / Kata -- down, against, according to and 2038b / Ergazomai -- to work, labor (from 2041) 2041 / Ergon -- work (from Erdo -- to do)
3. Shown: 5316 / Phaino -- to bring to light, to cause to appear
4. Know: 3609a / Oida -- to have seen or perceived, hence to know (from 1491a) 1491a / Eidon -- Prime form in certain tenses of/see 3708 / Horao -- to see, perceive, attend to
5. Sold: 4097 / Piprasko -- to sell (from Pernemi -- to export for sale)
6. Do/Doing (1st time in vs 15, vs 17,18 and last time in vs 20): 2716 / Same as #2 above
7. Actions/Practicing: 4238 / Prasso -- to do, practice
8. Do/Doing (2nd time in vs 15 and 1st time in vs 20): 4160 / Poieo -- to make, do
9. Confessing (NASB only): ???
10. Dwells (vs 17): 1774 / Enoikeo -- to dwell in (from 1722 and 3611) 1722 / En -- in, on, at, by, with and 3611 / Oikeo -- to inhabit, to dwell (from 3624) 3624 / Oikos -- a house, a dwelling
11. Dwells (vs 18 and 20): 3611 / Oikeo -- to inhabit, to dwell (from 3624) 3624 / Oikos -- a house, a dwelling
12. Desire/Willing: 2309 / Thelo -- to will, wish

1. Measure/Utterly: 5236 / Huperbole -- a throwing beyond, excess, superiority (from 5235) 5235 / Huperballo -- to throw over or beyond, to run beyond (from 5228 and 906) 5228 / Huper -- over, beyond, on behalf of, for the sake of, concerning and 906 / Ballo -- to throw, cast
2. Spiritual: 4152 / Pneumatikos -- spiritual (from 4151) 4151 / Pneuma -- wind, spirit (from 4154) 4154 / Pneo -- to blow
3. Understand: 1097 / Ginosko -- to come to know, recognize, perceive
4. Agree: 4852 / Sumphemi -- to say together, consent (from 4862 and 5346) 4862 / Sun -- with, together with and 5346 / Phemi -- to declare, say

1. Through: 1223 / Dia -- through, on account of, because of
2. Under/Bondage: ???
3. Longer: 3765 / Ouketi -- no longer, no more (from 3756 and 2089) 3756 / Ou, Ouk, Ouch -- not, no and 2089 / Eti -- still, yet
4. Nothing: 3756 / Ou, Ouk, Ouch -- not, no
5. Want: 2309 / Thelo -- to will, wish

Feel free to comment on what God reveals to you as you read His Word.

In Christ,

David

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark 1:17 said...

The Long Version:
Romans 7:13-20
The Conflict of Two Natures

13. Did that which is good (the law), then bring death to me? By no means! May it never be! It was sin/failure, producing/working out death in me through/on account of what is good, in order that sin/failure might be shown/brought to light/caused to appear to be sin, and through/on account of the commandment might become sinful/failure beyond measure/in excess.

14. For we know/have seen/perceived that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under/to sin/failure.

15. I do not understand/recognize my own actions/practices/doing. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

16. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree/consent with the law, that it (the law) is good.

17. So now it is no longer/more I who do it, but sin/failure that dwells/inhabits within me.

18. For I know/have see/perceived that nothing good dwells/inhabits within me, that is in my flesh. For I have the desire/will to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.

19. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil/bad I do not want is what I keep on doing.

20. Now if I do what I do not want/will/wish, it is no longer/more I who do it, but sin/failure that dwells/inhabits within me.

Fri Dec 30, 03:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mark 1:17 said...

My Comments:

13. In the last section Paul brought everone to the conclusion that the Law is good! But that because of the knowledge that the law brings and sin using that to descive us we are dead in sin.

Paul here is reemphasizing his point that through the law sin tricks us and we can see sin more clearly.

14. The Law is from God...it is Spiritual. We are of the flesh and completely sinful.

15. Paul has the knowledge of what He wants to do... and obey the law, but he doesn't recognize his actions because He is incapable of doing what he wants...obeying the law.

16. By doing what he doesn't want to do, he agrees that the law which tells him not to do it, is good.
He agrees with it!!!

17. Because of this, it is no longer Him who is breaking the law, because he agrees with the law, but rather it is the sin that is within him, in his very flesh that is causing him to break the law.

18. Paul knows that within his flesh dwells only sin...there is nothing good in his flesh.
He has the desire to do what is good but not the ability to carry it out because the sin in his flesh wont let him.

19. So, he wants to do good but can't do it. And he doesn't want to do evil, but can't stop from doing it because of sin in his flesh.

20. Because of this Paul realizes that it is not he who is sinning, but sin that is in him.

Compare this with:
Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through him (Christ) who strengthens me."

Philippians 3:2-11
"Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh. For we are the real circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh--though I myself have reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness, under the law blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead."

At First glance this last passage may seem like Paul is boasting in His flesh...but...in fact he is saying that He would have more reason than most to boast in His flesh, but He doesn't...He counts all of that as loss only to know Christ more!!!

The first passage goes with this because:
In Christ we now have the ability to flee from temptation and to avoid sin.

We tend to trust to much in our flesh. We think that we can beat our demons. But we can't, not in and of ourselves.

We can only through Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior.

In Christ,

David

Fri Dec 30, 03:30:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|