04. Search Me
05. Above All Else
06. Majesty And Mystery (Awesome God)
08. There's No One Like Our God
09. Captivated
11. Turn Your Eyes

For more about Vicky Beeching click on her name in on the links list or check out www.vickybeeching.com

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Romans 7:21-25

Romans 7:21-25
ESV
"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin."

NASB
"I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin."

Stephanus 1550 New Testament
21 ευρισκω αρα τον νομον τω θελοντι εμοι ποιειν το καλον οτι εμοι το κακον παρακειται
22 συνηδομαι γαρ τω νομω του θεου κατα τον εσω ανθρωπον
23 βλεπω δε ετερον νομον εν τοις μελεσιν μου αντιστρατευομενον τω νομω του νοος μου και αιχμαλωτιζοντα με τω νομω της αμαρτιας τω οντι εν τοις μελεσιν μου
24 ταλαιπωρος εγω ανθρωπος τις με ρυσεται εκ του σωματος του θανατου τουτου
25 ευχαριστω τω θεω δια ιησου χριστου του κυριου ημων αρα ουν αυτος εγω τω μεν νοι δουλευω νομω θεου τη δε σαρκι νομω αμαρτιας

Key Words:
1. Law/Principle: 3551 / Nomos -- that which is assigned, hence - usage, law (from Nemo -- to parcel out)
2. Evil: 2556 / Kakos -- bad, evil
3. Present (NASB only): 3873 / Parakeimai -- to lie beside, be present (from 3844 and 2749) 3844 / Para -- from beside, by the side of, by, beside and 2749 / Keimai -- to be laid, lie
4. Right/Good: 2570 / Kalos -- beautiful, good
5. Law: 3551 / Nomos -- that which is assigned, hence - usage, law (from Nemo -- to parcel out)
6. God: 2316 / Theos -- God, a god
7. Being/Man: 444 / Anthropos -- a man, mankind, human (from ops -- eye and 435) 435 / Aner -- a man
8. Members: 3196 / Melos -- a member or limb (of the body)
9. War: 497 / Antistrateuomai -- to make war against (from 473 and 4754) 473 / Anti -- over, against, opposite, hence instead of, contrast, requital, substitution, correspondence and 4754 / Strateuo -- to make war, hence to serve as a soldier (from Stratos -- an encamped army)
10. Mind: 3563 / 3563 / Nous/Noos -- mind, understanding, reason and 2192 / Echo -- to have, hold
11. Captive/Prisoner: 163 / Aichmalotizo -- to take or lead captive (from 164) 164 / Aichmalotos -- captive (from Aichme -- a spear and Haliskomai -- to be taken, conquered)
12. Sin: 266 / Hamartia -- a sin, failure (from 264) 264 / Hamartano -- to miss the mark, do wrong, sin
13. Body: 4983 / Soma -- a body
14. Death: 2288 / Thanatos -- death (from 2348) 2348 / Thnesko -- to die
15. Flesh: 4561 / Sarx -- flesh

1. Find: 2147 / Heurisko -- to find
2. Want/Wants: 2309 / Thelo -- to will, wish
3. Concur (NASB only): 4913 / Sunedomai -- to rejoice together (from 4862 and the same as 2237) 4862 / Sun -- with, together with (expresses association with) and 2237 / Hedone -- pleasure (from Hedomai -- to enjoy oneself)
4. Waging: 497 / Same as #9 above
5. Making: 163 / Same as #11 above
6. Deliver/Set: 4506 / Rhuomai -- to draw to oneself, i.e. deliver (from Eruo -- to drag)
7. Serve/Serving: 1398 / Douleuo -- to be a slave, to serve (from 1401) 1401 / Doulos -- a slave

1. Delight/Joyfully: 4913 / Same as #3 above
2. Wretched: 5005 / Talaiporos -- distressed, miserable (from Tala -- patient, stedfast and Poreo = 3996) 3996 / Pentheo -- to mourn, lament (from 3997) 3997 / Penthos -- mourning
3. Thanks: 5485 / Charis -- grace, kindness

1. Inner: 2080 / Eso -- within (from 1519) 1519 / Eis -- to or into (indicating the point reached or entered, of place, time, purpose, result)
2. Another/Different: 2087 / Heteros -- other
3. Against: 497 / Same as #9 above

Feel free to comment on what God reveals to you as you read His Word.

In Christ,

David

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark 1:17 said...

The Long Version:
Romans 7:21-25

21. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right/good, evil lies close at hand.

22. For I delight/rejoice together in the law of God, in my inner being/man,

23. but I see in my members/all parts of the body another law waging war against the law of my mind/understanding/reasoning (God's law) and making me captive/prisoner/conquered to the law of sin/failure that dwells in my members/all parts of the body.

24. Wretched/distressed/miserable man that I am! Who will deliver/draw to oneself me from this body of death?

25. Thanks/unmerritted favor/unearned kindess be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve/am a slave to the law of God with my mind/understanding/reasoning, but with my flesh I serve/am a slave to the law of sin/failure.

Sat Dec 31, 02:26:00 PM PST  
Blogger Mark 1:17 said...

My Comments:

21. Paul says that when ever he wants to do good, evil is quick to follow...it happens all the time...it is a law!

22. Paul delights or takes pleasure in the law of God, but

23. He in his flesh doesn't have the strength to obey it. His flesh is actually waging a war against the law of God!
The battle between good vs. evil!

24. Paul realizes that he is a horrible person...and can do nothing right! He cries out...Who will save me from my flesh?

25. His answer...God through Jesus Christ!!!!

Yet while we are still on this earth we will face the battle between obeying God or obeying our fleshly desires everyday.

But there is good news coming...

in the next chapter!

In Christ,

David

Sat Dec 31, 02:31:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

|